Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies

One more recipe to put into jars.  I'm going to make up a basket of baking stuff for "Nana" and her and the grand kids can make up cookies when they visit.  This is by far the most basic gingerbread recipe that I could find online (it was found HERE).  In the basket I'm also going to put some molasses, a pound of butter, some Crisco, and a few little containers of sprinkles and whatnot.  This recipe has very little wet ingredients, so most of it can go into a jar easy enough.

Of the three recipes I've posted over the last two days (all three are going in the basket), I think that only the few things I listed above are things Nana won't have on hand.  If you make up a cookie basket, add the extras you don't think the person would have (maybe vanilla extract).

I never got to make gingerbread men as a kid, so I think we'll be making them here too!



GINGERBREAD MEN COOKIES

2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening (Crisco)
1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. molasses
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. hot water
1 tsp. vinegar


Mix all ingredients. Roll onto well floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into gingerbread men. Place on greased cookie sheets dusted with flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice

No comments:

Post a Comment